- Move beyond – Engineers and Doctors are not the ONLY jobs that offers lucrative job and career growth, there are plenty of jobs and roles which can still fetch you a fat paycheck, lots of perks & benefits, including a great career growth, all you have to do is MOVE BEYOND and identify it!
- Know your strength – ensure you understand where your interest lies, if you find it difficult, seek help, reach out to experts or people who can guide you and whom you trust ,don’t not opt for Math,Economics, Physics or any Science stream just because the whole world seems to chase it and then apparently end up wasting precious time of your life understanding it .
- KSA – success in jobs are not due to the knowledge you had gained at college, it is just ONE of the factor among the many, there are multiple other factors at play which can make or break your career, so don’t think what got you a job will also get you a promotion or career growth.
- Invest in yourself; you are fortunate to be born in a period of Google and Wikipedia which holds an enormous amount of information on any career choice you have in your head, it could be as weird as a Happiness officer to as common as a Teacher, invest your time in learning which career choice offers what.
- All jobs are priced, and the price is arrived after considering compensable factors like hardship involved, skill requirement, knowledge, and cognitive ability, a neurosurgeon is thus paid higher than a general physician, similarly, a truck driver in hilly regions have a high tariff to those driving in the plains.Next time when you compare a job and aspire to earn a lot, keep in mind the method of how jobs are priced which can help you build the right expectations.
- Skills: Do you know, we all are slowly moving towards industrialization 4.0 phase, this is an era with the lowest skill life, where we need to continuously learn, unlearn and relearn, in short being a perpetual learner is now more a necessary skill to survive than a selective approach. Make sure you learn this art as soon as possible to avoid being obsolete.
- You own your career: you could be someone working in an MNC or a mid-size firm, a Startup, a freelancer, an Independent consultant or someone struggling to find a job, no matter who you are and where you work, always remember this mantra “You own your Career”. It simply means an organization can offer you a job, but a career will always be designed, built, sustained and retained only by you, and to do effectively you need to go back to Point 1, which is to identify it.
Conclusion: my corporate journey ended 2 years ago when I was laid off after a sudden end of a project, despite the tags of SHRM SCP or PMP I could never find another job, past two years were very tough for me ,but amidst these adversities I found the courage to pursue my dream, because I took charge, discover and identified what suits me and my skills and now as you read, I run an organisation name Guide & Advice doing more than I ever thought I was capable of .
I owe my success to my adversities, but I want you to succeed, therefore condensed my experience into practical tips, which will assist you to move beyond in a much more easier and effective way.
Beyond the tips, if you still find yourself looking to discover which careers suit you best or skills you need to hone, or just want to share your thoughts, drop in a line at Mehnaz or sign up with us.
Looking forward to hearing back from you.