Jack worked very hard on a highly complex and ambiguous project ,the project lead and the project sponsor were at loggerheads, this kept the entire team always on an edge making the work more difficult and environment toxic. Jack and the team ,waited for the project to end ,just as a traveler caught up in a heavy storm awaits the sky to clear up.
Amidst tight deadlines and everyday work challenges, the only relief Jack’s found was the time spent with his aunt who raised him since he was seven years old , an old charming lady with a great sense of humor.
But one fateful day, Jack was caught up in a conference ,when he received a call that his aunt had slipped from the staircase and was rushed to the hospital, when he reached the hospital , he was in for a shock when he was informed that she was no more.
Life at times can be very cruel.
The next working week at office , Jack was informed of change of leadership in the project, the resources were shuffled and Jack was put on bench for few weeks ,followed by an eventual exit.
Within a span of two weeks , Jack’s entire personal and professional life underwent a sea change.
On loosing his job, Jack found himself to have gone numb, leading to long periods of silence and a chaotic mind.
Several years passed by ,despite his competence and relevant experience , it took Jack more than three years, to get himself placed back in a job.
The 3 years of struggle completely shifted Jack’s mindset in the following ways ;
- Personal loss of his aunt ,shifted his perspective about life and the needs of Life
- The setback of sudden dismissal of job made him more demotivated and disinterested in working for any organization
- He questioned his self worth on a repeated basis ,and carried it around, which reflected in his interviews & job search which he failed to clear.
- He felt more and more confused with the emotions and found it difficult to regulate it, resulting in adapting incorrect coping mechanisms( worry behavior , tensed relationship with his spouse and kids)
- He failed to find both the discipline and the motivation required for his search .
A Common Error
Often times, we mistake to find a suitable job as a struggle.
In reality the struggle lies, in the many factors lying hidden , deep underneath ,connected to the other key domains of life. In this particular case of Jack, it was his personal loss, and the grief that followed which required help, coupled up with a sudden job loss resulting in low self confidence and a chaotic confused state of mind seeking clarity and direction in life.
If you find yourself in a similar conditions that of Jack, it’s time to ask;
What error are you committing ,while you try to find a way out of your career struggles ?
(c)Mehnaz Amjad 2022
About the Author: Mehnaz Amjad is a Coach, & a CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapist), Founder of Guide & Advice which offers Coaching to both individuals and organizations. You can Connect with me.