Changing career field depends on what the person is seeking
Usually one may want to change their field completely ,ONLY when one find oneself completely not sync with the job.
Example ;someone out of parent pressure may have studied engineering, however ,when they join office ,they found that they are more better at sales and enjoy that , and not the real engineering work
So they may then think of transitioning into a new field that sync with their skills, knowledge and capabilities
For some, if one find the current role to be too difficult to work on, they can choose to shift their field
Example ; A sales person may no longer want to take the stress of the sales work and targets ,which may have resulted in poor health and hence may change their field to more of an operation work.
So the answer is ,its not about what’s right or wrong , but about the deep need of an individual and his/her alignment to the work.
Look for the following , when you want to change your career, this will assist you not only make a smooth transition but also be more prepared for the new career field you are about to envision.
- Competence – A deep introspection of your KSA- Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Detailed view – a thorough understanding of what you are leaving to where you want to get into ,including the pros and cons of each
- Personal Phase – an understanding of where you stand in your personal life, to gauge what all will be impacted with your career shift from one to the other . Remember you’re personal and professional life are deeply interconnected and interdependent .
- The reason – a clear understanding of the “why” behind you moving to another career
- Plan – a detailed plan of how you will make that transition and by when you would do it ,along with timelines and actionable goals.
& while doing so , If you feel you need assistance and expertise to make your career transition more successful, feel free to connect here
c)Mehnaz Amjad 2022